Wednesday, July 2, 2008

We're Home!

This year’s Italy trip was a wonderful reminder of how great it is to go away, but how much more fantastic it can be to arrive home. We spent two and a half weeks in France and Italy. Amazing wine and wonderful friends…it just doesn’t get any better. We had 11 people this year and Sofia loved every single one of them. The attention she received each day was mind blowing. I wish I could explain to her why all 11 people were not coming home with us, but I suspect this will sink in some day.

Our itinerary went something like this: 2 nights in Paris, 4 nights in Nice, 6 days in Tuscany, 1 night in Rome and Venice, and then one night in Paris at the end of the trip. Our time spent in Nice this year was one of the best I can recall. We spent hours at the beach, loafing in the sun, carefully shading Sofia under blue umbrellas the entire day. I collected sea-glass while Dan and Max looked after Sofia, we took mini-naps, and we enjoyed a crisp Sancerre. After two days at the beach we were relaxed.





Our dinner in Rome was also memorable, but the walk back to our hotel, by the impromptu night concert and past the coliseum, will remain unforgettable.

The villa this year was the nicest one yet, with traditional interiors, beautiful grounds and a to-die-for pool. This is the first villa we’ve stayed in that actually had screens on the windows to keep the insects away and sprinklers for the lawn - both luxury items inTuscany. Our mini trips to Florence and Venice were fun and Sofia did very well on every mode of transport. I have tons of video so that someday many years from now Sofia will be able to enjoy her first Italy trip.

At the end of this trip I felt as if I had seen everything I wanted to see, ate as much food as my stomach would hold, and spent as much time as possible with the people I love most. This is why when that last day of vacation was upon us, I was pleased to be returning to the comfort of our home.

No comments: